Extracts from “Belle Of The Barcoo” (1996) with references to Jillett.
It seems that the very large original properties from 1862 were Tambo Station and Nive Downs Station and Mt Enniskillen. Minnie Downs (originally Elizabeth Creek) appears to be another major property. Most other stations appear to be split off's from these properties. However Greendale appears to have been a major property in the area.
It seems that the Jilletts originally took up Greendale and another station at Hughenden. This was called Cassillis and appeared to be owned by Thomas Shone Jillett.
Drensmaine Station was 23,680 acres was part of Chatham station which was owned by the Jillett family. In the late 1950's when the Jillett brothers split up their country and re-allocated various property portions to family members, Drensmaine together with Uanda (which was formerly part of Greendale) became the property of A.B. (Ned) Jillett - who later sold the property to the Sargoods.
Chatham Station: It may have originally been called Darbys Point.
Consisted of several blocks - the first taken (7224 acres) up by James Rutherford (Cobb & Co) in 1886. A second block of 15500 acres was selected in 1891. And a third portion of 3921 acres in 1896.
Somewhere most of the blocks passed to the Lord Brothers - who eventually sold different portions off to the Jillets. On the 6th December 1923, Tasman Jillett (brother of Edward Frank (Ted) Jillett) of Greendale bought the second Partion of 15500 acres). Tasman Jillett bought the 3921 acre block in 1923 also. 9,402 acres of the original block (query if original block) was sold to Edward Frank Jillett in 1925.
Jack Jillett (son of Edward Frank (Ted) Jillett) took over Chatham on the retirement of Tasman Jillett. After the (early) death of Jack Jillett his wife and sons continued to run the property until it was eventually sold it to IE and KM Walker in 1987.
Greendale station. Originally selected on 4th November 1861 by John Moore Dillion of Sydney. Dillion applied for other runs too but was refused. He also ended up forfeiting Greendale - which was then taken up by Berkelman and Lambert on 4th May 1863. The size was 60 sq miles.
During 1863, JT Allen was in dispute with Berkelman and Lambert of Greendale station over the ownership of Elizabeth Creek (later named Minnie Downs). It was initially resolved in favour of JT Allen - however both parties claimed they had stocked Elizabeth Creek. However 1865 was a dry year and Allen removed his stock because there was no water. He was slow in returning stock and Berkelman and Lambert requested the previous decision be set aside. Ownership was finally decided in Berkelman and Lamberts favour and awarded the lease of Elizabeth Creek on 14th August 1867.
The lease was transferred again in 1864/1865 and to ANZ Land Company Limited in 1866. They held it until 1884 when the lease was transferred to Thomas Jillett and NZ Loan and Mercantile Agency Coy Ltd of Melbourne.
The Jillett family claim that the ownership of Greendale began from about the year 1878 and their residence on the station from the early 1880's; however no Jillett s are listed on the electoral roll for the Tambo Police District for the years 1878 to 1881 inclusive; but they were certainly at Greendale by 1882 and quite possible earlier.
In 1886 three blocks, totalling 9061 acres, resumed from the original Greendale holding were selected by three brothers of Thomas Jillett ; Tasman (who later transferred his block to another brother, George); Edward Frank who, in 1901, transferred to his brother Alfred Charles, and Arthur James who also transferred his area to George. In 1923, Flora Kathleen (wife of Edward Frank) Jillett selected 2653 acres which then remained part of Greendale.
There were seven Jillett selectors - G (George) - A.C (Alfred Charles) - T.S. (Thomas Shone), A.J. (Arthur James) - E.F (Edward Frank) - H.T. (Henric Thomas) - F.K (Flora Kathleen who was Edward’s wife). T.S later purchased Chatham to reside there - A.J. Lived at Weathersdane (now a portion of Isoroy) while Edward. Made his home at Greendale.
To the south and west of Tambo Township, there are a number of small freehold blocks which may have been resumed from the original Greendale lease as paddocks for teamsters. Some of these blocks have been consolidated into the present Greendale holding.
It is reported that Greendale was the setting for one of the famous bush verses - Salt Bush Bill. SBB allowed his sheep to stray onto the Greendale paddocks only to be apprehended by one of the station owners. The fight etc.....
Over the years the Jilletts often transferred their various blocks among family members. Thomas Frank Jillett and
family controlled Greendale while Thomas’s brother Arthur Jillett. (Ned) built a homestead on the Uanda blocks
about 1960 and lived there. In 1972 Ian Jillett and his sister Ruth Thomas (nee Jillett) purchased McFarlane from
the estate of PP Doyle but in 1977 resold the property. Ian then sold his share in Greendale to his borther in law,
Anthony (Tony) Thomas and left the property. The management of Greendale then came under the control of
Ruth and Tony Thomas Ruth was Thomas Frank Jillett’s daughter.
In 1993 Greendale was sold to Graham Walter Bauer and Rosslyn Bauer - its present owners.
Uanda station was a portion of Greendale. In 1959 the Jillett family partnership was dissolved and AB Jillett took
the Uanda blocks and part of Chatham (Drensmaine) as his share. He built a home on the Uanda portion and lived
there with his family In 1977 Ned Jillett sold Uanda to Geoffrey Richard Herbert Lee.
Gartmore: Gartmore was a Greendale resumption of 53,015 acres in two blocks.
In 1913, Frank Alfred Jillett took up both blocks of Gartmore. In 1919 he transferred it to his brother Arthur James Jillett. In 1919,
it was again transferred, this time to another two brothers, Edward Frank and Tasman Jillett. About 1948 they sold the station
to H. Walker. It was again sold in 1977 and in 1983, Gartmore was divided into two and sold. One portion was bought by
Clifford and Beres Birchley - this portion was then called Old Gartmore as the original Jillett homestead had been situated there.
The other block was sold and resold and eventually called Mt Blunt so the Birchleys reverted to calling their property Gartmore.
Tambo Pony Club:
Arthur (Ned) Jillet first president in 1961. He became patron in 1971 till 1981. Mrs AB Jillett was amongst the first club members.
The club shield is called the Uanda Shield (Uanda Station was owned by AB Jillett from 1959 - as above).
When a club shield has filled all of the name places it becomes a memorial shield and is replaced by another named shield.
Arthur Jillett was also a member of the polocrosse club and the racecourse/showground.
It appears as though no Jillett from Tambo enlisted in WWI.
Arthur Jillett and Clive Jillett (and Robert Jillett) enlisted for WWII - Robert was killed in action.
It was originally know as the Tambo Divisional Board which was established on 30th June 1881:
Tambo (Subdivision 3) was part of the Kargoolnar division.
It appears that Jillets were not landholders so were not voters/ part of the board when it was formed.
Part of the rules for the existence of the boards was that they had to elect new members every year. However, in a note on page 486 - dated 10th May 1882, the name of George Jillett appears as a member of the 1882 Tambo Divisional Board (they were requesting free rail passes)
On 24th July 1884 - there was a suggestion to subdivide the Tambo division to ensure equalised spending across the division. Opponents to the subdivision included George Jillett (board member) and Henric Jillett and AJ (Arthur James) Jillett and Thomas Jillett.
Elections were held each March - appears to run from 1st July to 30th June. A certain percentage of the board was supposed to resign each year. This was circumvented by a member resigning voluntarily and being replaced by someone of whom he approved - who then resigned after a month and was replaced by the original member. The board was supposed to meet monthly but appeared to meet bi-monthly in the late 90's.
George was a member of the 1887 board - and is a member in 1897 - and is a member of the 1898-1899 board also.
On 31st March 1903 - all boards became town/shire councils except Brisbane, Rockhampton and Townsville which became cities.
George became a member of this first Tambo Shire Council - this also included the towns of Alpha and Jericho. There were 6 members (including the chairman). In November George moved the amalgamation of two divisions and increase the number of councillors to 7 - carried.
Edward Frank Jillett was a member of the 1923 council.
George was not a member of the 1927 council.
These are only references in the book with regard to some interesting issues - so when George left the council is not known and whether others served is not known.
Excerpt from the book "Tambo State School Centenary 1876 - 1976
The lease of Greendale was applied for in 1861 by Mr dillon, along with other leases which were disputed by Mr J.T. Allen. Mr allen had surveyed the area personally and it appears Mr Dillon's applications were made on the survey of the explorer and landholder Mr Frederick Walker. Litigation took place with the Land Commission Rockhampton. However, due to Mr Allen's accurate description of the lands for which he had applied, he was granted the leases of "Elizabeth Creek" and "Enniskillen", while Mr Dillon held "Greendale". A considerable number of old records in the district have been destroyed by fire and Greendale is one of the 6 properties affected. The loss of these records adds to the difficulties of putting together a full and accurate history.
Ownership of Greendale passed from Mr Dillon to the New Zealand Land and Mortgage Co. In January 1881, it was reported in the hands of a Mr. Jillett of Melbourne, although the actual purchase date was sometime in 1878. There were 6 selectors, Messrs. George, Alfred Charles, Thomas Shone, Arthur James, Edward Frank and Henric Thomas Jillett. Mr Thomas Shone Jillett later purchased Chatham to reside there. Mr Arthur James Jillett lived at Wethersdane, now a portion of Isoroy, while Mr Edward Frank Jillett made his home at Greendale.
To the south and west of Tambo township, there were a large number of small freehold blocks which could have been resumed from the original Greendale leases, as paddocks for the teamsters.
One of these blocks was in the name of J. Rutherford of Cobb and Co. (This was probably the Cobb & Co "spell" horse paddock). Other blocks were held by M. Sheridan, M Palmer, M Mulhern, G foote, G Riddell, H.B. Taylor, H.T. Walsh, J.Watson, M.A. Milne, D.C.Milne, F.W. Hewson and B. Goffage. A number of these blocks have been consolidated into the present Greendale Holding.
It is reported that Greendale was the setting for one of the famous bush verses - "Saltbush Bill". Grass was often scarce on the stock route and it was the habit of drovers to cut the bottom wire of a fence to allow their sheep to stray through to the better feed in the station paddock. Saltbush Bill had done this on Greendale only to be apprehended by one of the station owners. The poem relates the ensuing fight which lasted for hours until such time as Saltbush Bill was satisfied that his sheep had had their fill.
With the loss of the country known as Isaroy, the Jillett Family purchased Gartmore. The original lease to Mr Dillion is thought to cover what is now known as Greendale and portion of Isaroy. The family of Mr Edward Frank Killett controls most of this area today. Mr. Thomas Frank Jillett at Greendale and Mr Arthur Bruce (Ned) at Uanda.
A portion of what is now Gartmore is called Haughton's Green and as George Haughton was a coach driver in 1880, he could perhaps have been an early owner.
An area of 53,000 acres, it was purchased by Jillett Bros, prior to 1920 and managed by Frank Alfred jillett, a son of (should be nephew) of Arthur James Jillett of Wethersdane.
Gartmore was sold by Mr. H Walker who carried out considerable timber treatment and pasture improvement on the property before reselling it to Lloyd Wilson, who held it for a short period.
It was subsequently sold to the present owners, the Tully family of Quilpie.
Was selected in 1880's by Ivor Peyton. Lord Bros sold it to Jillett Bros. It was the residence of Tasman Jillett. Jack, a son of Ted, took over control on the retirement of his uncle.
6 Dec 1886 Tasman: 4000 acred Greendale 2V-5329 Resumed portion of Greendale Run GF No 7
23 Oct 1886 4850 acres Greendale Portion 3V No 15GF
15 Feb 1887 Edward Selection No 61 App Carrangarra Port 8 211 acres Por 34
1st June 1888 Arthur: Lessee of 4850 acres Greendale Port 3 V GF 15
August 1888 & 1898 Arthur Greendale Run G F N 15 Port 3V Rental 1penny per acre
1909 Renewed for 1.5 pence per acre per annum
1918 Renewed for 2.25 pence per acre per annum
1921 Renewed 2.5 pence per acre per annum
1890 Edward Carrangarra Port 8 Por 34
1st Feb 1900 George purchased 3V 4850 from Arthur
1904 Lease Extension for 10 years
1900 Alfred No 8
1904 Lease extension for 10 years
1908 Lease extension 2d per acre per annum
1918 Lease extension 3d per acre per annum
July 1924 Alfred's Will Farm No 8 left to Aubrey Halloran and Edward Jillett (Trustees of will)
June 1927 GS 5330 Lease renewed 28 years No 8 Edward
March 1928 Drought relief: Part of aggregation of 5330, 5427, 5445, 5450, 5329, 5337: 26,000 acres Freehold Total 118,731 acres
1906 Tasman and George 2V and 3V (8850) acres Grant to modify fencing
24 Oct 1906 Tasman gave George GF7, 4000 acres "in consideration of love and affection" (South Afticva - Boer War)
31 Dec 1926 Lease renewed 28 years
June 1927 5337: Lessee George (part of aggregation of 6 grazing selections Greendale Holding, 26,000 acres Freehold Total Aggregation 118,731 acres
July 1925 Grazing selection No 5337 - 4850 acres 3V 2d per acre per annum
2 February 1926 Grazing selections 7,8,15,29,53,63,253,731,743
Jillett Bros: Stock partnership -- Shares due
Edward Frank Jillett 24/100 th
Arthur James Jillett 11/100th
Tasman Jillett 37/100 th
George Jillett 11/100 th
F.K. Jillett 1/100 th
Estate of A.C. Jillett 7/100 th
Estate of H.T. Jillett 3/100 th
Estate of T.S. Jillett 3/100 th
As trustees, A.C., A.J., E.f., and J. Jillett 3/100 ths
1910: Exchange 342: Greendale Holding 59 sm Rent 40 shillings Jillett Bros Alfred, Arthur, Edward and Tasman (Lessees) Wethersdane.
1911 After Court Case, surrendered 10 sq mile Greendale and got 4 sq. mile of Gartmore.
23 May 1912 Jillett Bros Lessees of Greendale Holding
8 August 1913 Jillett Bros surrendered 5678 acres of Greendale. Granted 2230 acres
1916 Gartmore: Grazing Homestead 253
Hughenden 5 April Edward: Cambridge Parish 9914 acres POrt 30 GF91
13 July 1900 Edward Port 29, GF 910, 10086 acres
31 Dec 1902 Port 10, GF917, 196961 acres Parish Burleigh transferred to Henric Jillett
4 Dec 1903 GF 917 Sold by Henric to Edward
Thanks to Ann Jillett for this information from the Jillett Diaries
SALTBUSH BILL by A. B. 'Banjo' Paterson
Now this is the law of the Overland that all in the West obey -
A man must cover with travelling sheep a six-mile stage a day;
But this is the law which the drovers make, right easily understood,
They travel their stage where the grass is bad, but they camp where the grass is good;
They camp, and they ravage the squatter's grass till never a blade remains,
Then they drift away as the white clouds drift on the edge of the saltbush plains;
From camp to camp and from run to run they battle it hand to hand
For a blade of grass and the right to pass on the track of the Overland.
For this is the law of the Great Stock Routes, 'tis written in white and black -
The man that goes with a travelling mob must keep to a half-mile track;
And the drovers keep to a half-mile track on the runs where the grass is dead,
But they spread their sheep on a well-grassed run till they go with a two-mile spread.
So the squatters hurry the drovers on from dawn till the fall of night,
And the squatters' dogs and the drovers' dogs get mixed in a deadly fight.
Yet the squatter's men, though they hunt the mob, are willing the peace to keep,
For the drovers learn how to use their hands when they go with the travelling sheep;
But this is the tale of a jackaroo that came from a foreign strand,
And the fight that he fought with Saltbush Bill, the King of the Overland.
Now Saltbush Bill was a drover tough as ever the country knew,
He had fought his way on the Great Stock Routes from the sea to the big Barcoo;
He could tell when he came to a friendly run that gave him a chance to spread,
And he knew where the hungry owners were that hurried his sheep ahead;
He was drifting down in the Eighty drought with a mob that could scarcely creep
(When the kangaroos by the thousand starve, it is rough on the travelling sheep),
And he camped one night at the crossing-place on the edge of the Wilga run;
'We must manage a feed for them here,' he said, 'or half of the mob are done!'
So he spread them out when they left the camp wherever they liked to go,
Till he grew aware of a Jackaroo with a station-hand in tow.
They set to work on the straggling sheep, and with many a stockwhip crack
They forced them in where the grass was dead in the space of the half-mile track;
And William prayed that the hand of Fate might suddenly strike him blue
But he'd get some grass for his starving sheep in the teeth of that Jackaroo.
So he turned and he cursed the Jackaroo; he cursed him, alive or dead,
From the soles of his great unwieldly feet to the crown of his ugly head,
With an extra curse on the moke he rode and the cur at his heels that ran,
Till the jackaroo from his horse got down and went for the drover-man;
With the station-hand for his picker-up, though the sheep ran loose the while,
They battled it out on'the well-grassed plain in the regular prize-ring style.
Now, the new chum fought for his honour's sake and the pride of the English race,
But the drover fought for his daily bread with a smile on his bearded face.,
So he shifted ground, and he sparred for wind, and he made it a lengthy mill,
And from time to time as his scouts came in they whispered to Saltbush Bill -
'We have spread the sheep with a two-mile spread, and the grass it is something grand;
You must stick to him, Bill, for another round for the pride of the Overland.'
The new chum made it a rushing fight, though never a blow got home,
Till the sun rode high in the cloudless sky and glared on the brick-red loam,
Till the sheep drew in to the shelter-trees and settled them down to rest;
Then the drover said he would fight no more, and gave his opponent best.
So the new chum rode to the homestead straight, and told them a story grand
Of the desperate fight that he fought that day with the King of the Overland;
And the tale went home to the Public Schools of the pluck of the English swell -
How the drover fought for his very life, but blood in the end must tell.
But the travelling sheep and the Wilga sheep were boxed on the Old Man Plain;
'Twas a full week's work ere they drafted out and hun them off again;
A week's good grass in their wretched hides, with a curse and a stockwhip crack
They hunted them off on the road once more to starve on the half-mile track.
And Saltbush Bill, on the Overland, will many a time recite
How the best day's work that he ever did was the day that he lost the fight.